Sunday, October 16, 2011

Ghosts of Halloweens Past

The countdown to Halloween has begun in our home. Although at times, it seems like everyday is Halloween because a certain 3 year old just loves loves loves to play dress up. His latest preference is of course a very cool super hero . As the big day approaches I am reminded of some of our past Halloween costumes. Let's take a walk down memory lane! While we take this walk we can guess which costumes are homemade and which ones are bought:-)



Dorothy & Scarecrow

As you can see even before kids, we had fun with this holiday. Chris was a good sport wearing his costume, which we put together ourselves with some old clothes, raffia, and an old ladies sun hat. My costume was borrowed from a friend, but I love the Christmas basket I used to carry my little dog Toto!



Roar!!!!!!

Sean's first Halloween! He was a Roarin' Lion and took his costume very seriously. This was purchased because I had yet to find my Halloween costume creating bug.



A very happy Cat in the Hat!

I absolutely love this costume! Sean really enjoyed reading Dr. Seuss books (and still does) so I thought this would be perfect. He had a blast wearing it, and I had a great time trying to figure out how to make it. In the end it was quite simple. All I needed was a black sweat suit, black and white craft fur, red ribbon and white gloves. The hat was the hardest part of the costume, but once Nanny found it in the store we were set! And, how could you have Cat in the Hat without Thing 1 and Thing 2?


Don't they look yummy?

As you can see I'm all about "themes" when it comes to costumes. I wasn't sure what to do for Connor's first Halloween since he was only 3 months old.  I came up with an idea of making them into M&M's. Sean loves the candy, especially the green ones. Yes, I do know the green M&M is a girl but Sean didn't know and I really didn't care. For Sean's costume I cut out foam into a circle and made a casing with green fabric. I cut out the "M" on white felt that was a sticker on the back. Since Connor was still a little guy, the bunting M&M bag was the perfect solution to have him dressed up and nice and warm.  I sewed yellow felt into the shape of a bag, and cut out the label with white and brown felt. So easy, so cheap and so cute!

I'm looking forward to unveiling this year's costumes....but we will have to be patient for that post!

No comments:

Post a Comment