What do you get when you combine crisp Fall weather, yummy food, lots of beer, wine, and of course friends? Our first annual Oktoberfest extravaganza! (I say first, but that is not a guarantee there will be a second...we'll see about that). It was a lot of work to put together, but I really enjoyed all the stages of planning. Since it was an Oktoberfest, I really wanted to stick to a menu of German themed food. I may have gone a little overboard but all our guests enjoyed the grub and left me with very little food. (I guess that's a compliment, but I was hoping that I wouldn't have to cook for a couple of days:-) The menu consisted of, cheese and beer fondue, beer bread, bratwurst, potato pancakes, perogies, apple sauce, macaroni and cheese, smoked brisket (kudos to my hubby) and mummy hotdogs (had to throw a little Halloween into the mix for the kids). I even had fun with the table cards. On a side note, I do not speak German (a website helped with the translation) and can't guarantee that it is correct, but it looks good and my friends thought it was a nice touch.

Now, you can't have an Oktoberfest party without beer and (German) wine! I thought it would be fun to give each person their own glass. Each guy had a beer mug with a personal name tag. The ladies each got a wine glass, where I painted the bottom with chalk board paint (aka my new favorite thing). I tied some raffia on the glasses and created a fun way to enjoy some adult beverages! With the chalk board paint, the girls could mark their glasses and nobody would be searching for their missing glass. How many times have you been to a party where you couldn't find your drink!? At the end of the night each person brought home their glass. Just a little reminder of their fun filled night!

I thought the night was a huge success! The kids had a blast playing in their costumes, the adults enjoyed some "semi-authentic" German food and who could complain of the beer and wine! Of course it would not be a party without sweets. You'll just have to save some room for dessert and wait until my next post of all the scrumptious goodies I whipped together.
No comments:
Post a Comment